We want to share with you this easy Taiwanese Braised Pork with Rice recipe. Howie loves to make this dish when we’re busy or we’re looking for a comforting dish. While the cook time might seem daunting, this is a set it and forget it kind of meal. From our Instagram, you might have deduced we like going out for Taiwanese food but we also love making it at home as well! You also know we like our braised beef but we like our braised pork equally much.
Howie has fond memories of his family making this and now he’s put his own spin on this easy Taiwanese Braised Pork with Rice recipe. He’s simplified much of the steps so that ANYONE can make this no-fuss recipe. This is such a great dish that we don’t even think you’ll have much leftovers and you’ll be asking for seconds. Braised pork belly packs so much punch in terms of flavor, we think the whole family will enjoy this meal!
If you don’t have rock sugar that this recipe calls for, you can substitute it for 2 tbsp of brown sugar. Rock sugar and all the ingredients listed can be found in any Asian grocery store or online. The ingredients listed in this recipe are staples for Asian cooking so don’t feel like you’re buying the ingredients just for this recipe. We promise you there’ll be more chances to use things like Five Spice powder in our upcoming recipes!
EGG OR NO EGG?
We know some people don’t like eggs so that’s why it’s listed as optional for this recipe. However, we do encourage you to try and adding a hard boiled egg to your sauce and letting it simmer. The egg soaks up so much of the delicious pork juice and flavor – the end result is a tasty marinated egg. It goes very well with your rice! We like mashing the egg up and mixing it with a spoonful of the sauce at the end. What a classic, comforting dish!
Taiwanese Braised Pork with Rice
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1.5 lb Pork Belly
- 2 cloves Garlic smashed, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Rock Sugar
- 1 tsp Five Spice Powder
- 6 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Cooking Wine
- 2/3 cup Water
- 2 Hardboiled eggs (optional)
- In a large stockpot on medium high heat, put in the oil. Put in bork belly and sear until brown (about 2 minutes on each side). Add in your garlic and give your pork a stir.
- Add rock sugar and let it disolve slightly, about 1 minute. Add Five Spice powder and soy sauce. Turn down heat to low and let simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add cooking wine and water. Let simmer for 1 hr, covered with lid.
- (Optional) Put in peeled hardboiled eggs into sauce while simmering.
- Remove pork and eggs from stockpot and serve with rice.
If you end up trying this recipe, let us know what you think of it!